Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Arabian rice pudding (Muhallabia)


Some time back, one of my friends gave me a recipe, which she said would be a sure success. When I went through it, I found that it was very similar to our phirni. It is very tasty with the added almonds and the delicate flavour of rose, and does indeed appeal to the senses.
Compared to other Indian desserts, which involve the use of loads of cream or ghee, this one is comparatively low fat, if you take care to use skim milk and sugar substitute. But I prefer the regular variety.

So, here goes.

Ingredients:

Rice (any variety) I used Basmati. : ½ cup
Sugar : ½ cup or according to your taste
Milk : 5 cups
Almonds : ¼ cup blanched, de-skinned, and sliced thinly
Rose essence : a few drops


Soak the rice in a little milk for about half an hour. Grind to a paste. Keep aside.
Meanwhile, in a thick bottomed pan (I prefer the non-stick variety) heat the milk and sugar. Add the paste gradually, and keep stirring. The mixture will start thickening. Stir continuously so that no lumps are formed. Add the sliced almonds and keep cooking for about 5 minutes. Now add in the rose essence.

Remove and pour into individual bowls, cool and refrigerate. You can garnish with more sliced almonds, pistachios, and rose petals, for a colourful appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment